Wrexham Parish Records
For ordering and viewing options, select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Denbighshire Archive Service
- Finding Number: PD/101
- Date: 1529-2004
- Level: Collection
- Extent: 86 boxes
- Format: Manuscript
- Description: The records of individual ecclesiastical parishes include registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as records of the churchwardens and Parochial Church Councils, parish charities, schools, clubs and societies.
Parish records were deposited at the Clwyd Record Office, following an agreement of 1976 between the Church in Wales and the Welsh County Councils.
The ancient parish of Wrexham comprised the townships of Abenbury Fawr, Abenbury Fechan, Acton, Bersham, Bieston, Broughton, Brymbo, Borras Hwfa, Esclusham Above, Esclusham Below, Gourton, Minera, Stansty, Wrexham Abbot and Wrexham Regis.
The townships of Erddig and Erlas, which were surrounded by other Wrexham townships, were in fact detached parts of the parish of Gresford.
On 23 May 1844, by an Order in Council the townships of Minera and Esclusham Above went to the new parish of Minera.
On 6 December 1844, by an Order in Council, the township of Brymbo and part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Brymbo.
In 1851, the township of Borras Hwfa was transferred to Gresford; and the townships of Erddig and Erlas were transferred from Gresford to Wrexham.
In November 1851, part of the township of Stansty went to the new parish of Gwersyllt.
In 1865, by an Order in Council, that part of the township of Bersham which lay west of Offa's Dyke was added to the parish of Minera.
In 1879, by an Order in Council, the townships of Erddig, Esclusham Below, and a portion of Esclusham Above went to the new parish of Esclusham.
In 1886, by an Order in Council, the townships of Acton, Bieston and Gourton went to the new parish of Rhosddu.
On 15 February 1909, by an Order in Council, part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Broughton.
On 7 May 1921, parts of the townships of Bersham and Stansty went to the new parish of Southsea.
In 1934, further parts of the same townships went to the new parish of Bersham.
[Information taken from http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Wrexham/index.html (last accessed July 2015)]
ED/MB/101/16-17 Managers minutes 1889-1896
ED/MB/101/18 Wrexham National schools managers' minutes and statements of accounts 1894-1902
DD/DM/379/1 Abstract of poor accounts 1819-20
- Terms:PARISH RECORDS
- Terms:Parish Records
- System of Arrangement: Arranged into two key groups; Ecclesiastical Records and Civil Records
- Access Conditions: This collection is open for research. It is advisable to book in advance, for details and opening hours see http://archives.denbighshire.gov.uk/visit-us/. Access to some documents may be restricted due to Data Protection legislation, Denbighshire Archive Service will advise where this is the case.
- For more information: Denbighshire Archive
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will be catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The collection will be arranged into sub-sections, such as series, files, items, and these will all be clearly related. Archival collections often have folder type structure if they are catalogued to this level of detail. The researcher can then see the context of an individual item, such as a letter - they can see that it forms part of a series, and the series is within a larger collection. Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
Viewing the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered in advance. Please order on arrival
Alternatively you can request a copy of this document by signing in and selecting request a quote.
Please note access restrictions may mean that certain items cannot be viewed due to poor condition, data protection or it may be available in another format, such as on microfilm.