Llansilin Rural District Council, records of
For ordering and viewing options, select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Denbighshire Archive Service
- Finding Number: RDD/D
- Date: 1855-1935
- Level: Collection
- Extent: 1.292 cubic metres (68 boxes)
- Format: Manuscript
- Description: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant Rural District Council was established in Denbighshire under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894. It comprised the parishes of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn and Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant. In 1897, the parishes of Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog (previously administered temporarily by Edeyrnion RDC) and Llansilin (from Chirk RDC) were added, and the council was renamed Llansilin Rural District Council. In 1935 the council was merged with Chirk RDC, to form the new district of Ceiriog. The council comprised councillors and a chairman, elected for three years. They originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities and their responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries, parks, and licensing of public entertainments, water supply and later housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Public Health Inspector, Housing Officer and Surveyor. From 1927 the council was given rating powers, succeeding Oswestry Incorporation (Llansilin parish), Corwen Union (Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog) and Llanfyllin Union (Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn and Llanrhaeadr-yn-Mochnant).
Scope and content: Records of Llansilin Rural District Council and related bodies, 1855-1935, comprising Clerk's department records, 1895-1935, including minutes, 1895-1935, letter books, 1913-1928, correspondence and papers, 1898-1933, and correspondence files on various subjects, 1914-1935; Treasurer's department records, 1894-1935, including general ledgers, 1894-1932, receipt and payment accounts, 1914-1932, and various vouchers, 1905-1928; Surveyor's cash books, accounts, monthly reports and other records, 1879-1933; Public Health Inspector's reports and other records, 1911-1924; rating records of Corwen Union, 1897-1927; rate books, collecting and deposit books, accounts and other rating records of Llanfyllin Union, 1883-1929; rate books, collecting and deposit books, Overseers' receipt and payment accounts, statements and other rating records of Oswestry Incorporation, 1855-1930; and Llansilin RDC Rating Officer's records, 1907-1935, including rate accounts, 1929-1935, and valuation registers, 1907-1934.
(records accumulated 1894-1935)
- Terms:Local Government
- System of Arrangement: Arranged into Clerk; Rating Officer; Treasurer; Surveyor; Public Health Inspector and miscellaneous.
- Access Conditions: This collection is open for research. It is advisable to book in advance, for details and opening hours see http://archives.denbighshire.gov.uk/visit-us/. Access to some documents may be restricted due to Data Protection legislation, Denbighshire Archive Service will advise where this is the case.
- For more information: Denbighshire Archive
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will be catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The collection will be arranged into sub-sections, such as series, files, items, and these will all be clearly related. Archival collections often have folder type structure if they are catalogued to this level of detail. The researcher can then see the context of an individual item, such as a letter - they can see that it forms part of a series, and the series is within a larger collection. Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
Viewing the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered in advance. Please order on arrival
Alternatively you can request a copy of this document by signing in and selecting request a quote.
Please note access restrictions may mean that certain items cannot be viewed due to poor condition, data protection or it may be available in another format, such as on microfilm.