Henllan Board School, Records of
For ordering and viewing options, select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Denbighshire Archive Service
- Finding Number: ED/38 Henllan Board School
- Date: 1868-1990
- Level: Collection
- Extent: 3 boxes
- Format: Manuscript
- Description: Also known as Henllan National School prior to 1876 and Village Council School from 1904. Currently known as Ysgol Henllan.
Present school building opened in 1901 but there had been a school before on nearby Ochr y Bryn which had been the village school since 1826. Before that there had been a Dame School on School Street. Current school building, used from 1901/4? Designed by James Hughes, a Denbigh architect.
Henllan school opened as a junior mixed and infants school with 109 on the register in 1871 and in 1875 the Infants were taken as a separate department.
There is a reference to a Welsh scheme of work being introduced to the Infant school in 1907 with lessons in 2 languages (page 91 Log book ED/LB/38/5 and then on page 113 an inspection report praising the Head teacher's high quality instruction in Welsh). The Infant department ceased to be a separate department in March 1911 and came again under the authority of the Head teacher of the Junior mixed school.
In April 1911 the new Head Teacher was Owen Trevor Jones - becoming the Head Teacher of both Infants and Junior Mixed Departments.
NB. Log Book ED/LB/38/5 Infants 1903- 1932 actually has the Infant Department alone recorded only up to 1911 - then the department became the responsibility of the Head Teacher of the Junior Mixed Department - Page 164. The log book was now used by the whole school but the entries do not start until September 1919.
Log Book ED/LB/38/2 has recorded Junior Department from 1901 - 1919 so it is assumed includes the Infant department from 1911-1919
Log Book ED/LB/38/5 Page 167 reference to Juniors being given bilingual methods of instruction by the Head Teacher
Log Book ED/LB/38/4 1932-1952 - entry 1934 an interesting time for the school as pupils could witness the erection of poles for electric power for the village.
On 31st December 1938 the Head Teacher O Trevor Jones retired after 28 years at the school and from March 1939 the new Head Teacher was Ivor Jones.
Plans CD/A/4/187 1979-1980 show the intended construction of indoor toilets and a kitchen/dining room for the school.
Street name- Denbigh Street, Henllan, LL16 5AW
CD/A/4/77-Design for new school at Henllan, 1899
CD/A/4/187- Plans for Henllan CP school, 1979-1980
PPD/38/12-13- Henllan School Group c. 1901
PPD/38/18-19- Henllan School photograph, c.1895-1901
'Henllan Village Memories Of 60 Years Ago And More', Jim Buchanan, January 2005
- System of Arrangement: School records are arranged as follows;
1. Log books
2. Admission registers
3. Attendance registers
4. Managers minutes
- Access Conditions: All school records containing personal or sensitive information are closed for 75 years. This includes log books, admission and attendance registers and some minute books.
- For more information: Denbighshire Archive
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will be catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The collection will be arranged into sub-sections, such as series, files, items, and these will all be clearly related. Archival collections often have folder type structure if they are catalogued to this level of detail. The researcher can then see the context of an individual item, such as a letter - they can see that it forms part of a series, and the series is within a larger collection. Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
Viewing the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered in advance. Please order on arrival
Alternatively you can request a copy of this document by signing in and selecting request a quote.
Please note access restrictions may mean that certain items cannot be viewed due to poor condition, data protection or it may be available in another format, such as on microfilm.