The following rules must be adhered to so that the unique archival heritage of our county can be preserved:
1. Anyone wishing to see documents or other material at the office is required to:
- provide means of identification in accordance with the rules of the County Archives Research Network if asked to do so.
- sign his or her name in the register. Filling in the register means an agreement to observe search room rules *
*Note: This information will not be used other than for the purposes of anonymous statistics
2. Please leave your CARN ticket with a member of staff at the desk. Your ticket will be returned to you when you are ready to leave.
3. All bags, including handbags and briefcases, must be placed in a locker.
4. Pencils must be used at all times. The use of pens is not permitted anywhere in the office.
5. Documents must be ordered using separate request slips.
6. Documents must never be taken out of the search room.
7. Take care when handling documents. Documents must not be marked, leant upon or handled roughly. Please use supportive cushions when advised to; weights are provided for weighting documents down. Please ask a member of staff for assistance when if you are unsure.
8. Last requests for documents must be submitted in the morning by 11.45, and in the afternoon by 16.00. Documents must be handed in by 16.25.
9. Documents must be handed back to the search room staff before you leave. You are responsible for the documents until then and must take care that the order of the documents is retained and that they are put back in the same folder or box. Microfilms or fiche must be replaced correctly.
10. Eating and drinking is not permitted in the search room. Eating and drinking must be restricted to the designated refreshment area. Smoking is illegal on this site.
11. Please keep conversations to a minimum and try not to disturb others by talking loudly. Mobile phones should be switched off.
12. Searchroom staff will:
- limit the number of documents a researcher can see at a time
- decide if a document is too fragile to be produced or copied
- advise on the correct way to consult a document so that it is not damaged.
- decide if researchers need to sign copyright or data protection forms to copy or gain access to the documents
13. You may use your own personal computer only at your own risk. Please note there are no facilities in the searchroom to charge laptops.
14. Copies can only be made with the permission of search room staff. You will be required to complete a form which explains copyright implications.
15. Cameras may be used in the searchroom with permission from staff. A charge will be applicable. Please ask a member of staff for more details.
16. Staff cannot supply legal advice.
17. The duty archivist can exclude any person not complying with the above rules or anyone whose behaviour prevents the proper use or administration of the Council’s Archives Service.
Last Reviewed: Sep 2013